The King of Spades

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

File Management Procedures

File management is the organizing of files. This can be done by creating folders inside of your H:\ drive, and then organizing your files logically within them. Sub-folders can also be used to clarify where/what things are. We need file management because it is much easier to locate files within your computer if you have a logical naming structure and use folders to organize things. For example, I have organized all my visual basic files in the directory H:\2012\11DTA\VisualBasicExpress. This allows me to easily navigate to and find my files related to visual basic express.

I use camelCase as my naming convention for most projects. For example, I did this in my InDesign assessment, where all of my files are named with no spaces, and capitals at the start of each word. The exception is my images, which have spaces in between the dimensions and name of the file. We give files and folders meaningful names because it means we can structure our files and find things with ease. It would be much easier to find an image about a cat if it was in a folder called "CatPictures" rather than "Stuff".

In this image, you can see how I have named my folders according to the subjects I take this year. These help me easily find the files I want, as I can immediately see what subjects there are and from there navigate to the correct subject.

File structure is how the folders are organized in a particular directory. A good example of this is on the Baynet website. In this particular image, you can see how "Our Files" has a logical naming structure, and all folders are clearly named and organized.

On the Bayfield school computers, instead of using harddrive storage, network storage is used instead. This is because the network can be accessed on all computers that are connected, rather than using a harddrive which can only be accessed by one computer. This is very useful as it allows students to access their folders and files from any computer, as well as saving files to the network, and therefore all computers connected to the network. If we did not use a network, any files saved onto a computer would only be on that computer, and therefore anything we saved would not be on any other computer. This would restrict students to only using one computer to do their work, as it  would be the only computer with their work saved on it.