The King of Spades

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Parts of an Operating System


Application Execution
When I was doing the AS 91073 Assessment the operating system’s application execution allowed me to open and use Adobe InDesign. The OS read that the file was an executable file as it had a .exe extension, and so ran the file. Without this, it would not have been possible for me to do my assessment.

File Management
File management helps me with my schoolwork as it allows me to organise my files and folders into subject and year groups. This allows me to easily keep track of what I am working on and what I have finished with, as I can group them in different folders accordingly.

Input/Output Devices
To use a mouse, keyboard and other external devices, the operating system needs to be able to manage input devices. This part of the operating system allows the computer to recognize and use things such as those mentioned above. I use these functions every time I am on a computer, as otherwise I would not be able to interact with the computer.
There are also output devices. These are things such as speakers and the computer screen, and the OS has to be able to manage these for the user to be able to use the computer. For example, if the operating system did not manage the desktop, I would not be able to see what I was typing, or for that matter have any idea what I was doing at all as I could not see any noticeable effect I was having on the computer.

GUI
The graphic user interface allows the user to easily interact with the computer. Before there was a GUI, users had to access their computer through the command line, with a system called DOS. The graphical user interface allows me to personalize things such as the desktop by applying a new background, which I do whenever I feel the one I am currently using is too old.